Thursday, August 21, 2014

The World is Angry

“In your anger, do not sin.” Ephesians 4:26

smash

I’m usually pretty outspoken when it comes to current events, but lately I’ve been staying out of it as much as possible.

The ALS ice bucket challenge. The riots in Ferguson, MO. The controversy over the football team, Washington Redskins. You name it. It’s happening. It’s unfathomable to me how this world is fraying at the edges, and sometimes over such ridiculous things. And then it dawned on me…

I just get the feeling that the world is simply...ANGRY. And the world is looking for outlets to release and express that anger. I don't believe the anger is about a cop, or race, although I do believe the media uses it as such. However, anger boils over after a series of events and this country has undergone majorly hurtful, shocking, horrific changes since 9/11.

This country is suffering under the hands of politicians who are trying to control every aspect our lives. Everyone is facing the pressure of life today...everyone, regardless of race, sex, class, or ethnicity. And it's beginning to explode. This country is divided, not united. And everyone believed Obama would be the cure-all for that very problem. But he has only made matters worse, and now we see real racism in action as anger is being exploited and used against us as a whole.

I don’t think things are getting better, because the media wants (needs) us to fight one another, hate one another, kill one another, all so they can manipulate the storyline to make you ANGRY/ANGRIER. The angrier you are the better their ratings; the better their chances of winning the next election. It’s just one big lie piled on top of a million other lies, and if you’re not paying attention to reality, those lies WILL become your reality, and then wars on the streets break out and it’s “us against them.”

It’s okay to feel anger, but it’s not okay to act on that anger to the point of destruction and division.

A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control. Proverbs 29:11

Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools. Ecclesiastes 7:9

Ironically, I’ve been working on Tavin’s homeschool curriculum the last few weeks and recently put together a lapbook about controlling anger. Since then, I’m paying much more attention to my own anger and the anger in our home and the anger that surrounds us on all sides of the world. The anger is infectious. It’s as debilitating and deadly disease as ALS. It’s as stupid as trying to change a football team’s name and mascot. And what it really looks like is riots in Missouri. Not pretty.

The morning after I worked all night putting that anger lapbook together, I was tired and cranky. I hadn’t slept a wink, and as a mom I don’t get those nice moments of resting or sleeping in. I was angry. And I wanted the world to know how angry I was. I yelled at my husband. I slammed doors. I snapped at my son. I was in a full blown rage against the world because I hadn’t slept and felt everyone deserved to know it. Suddenly I began to think about the very things I had put together for that lapbook. God quickened my heart. “Anger is a choice. What will you choose today?”

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

In that very moment I chose NOT to be angry. I changed my mind! I decided that anger doesn’t need to control me, because God gave me a spirit of self-control and I was going to exercise that power. And it changed my heart. I walked up to my son, kissed him and told him I loved him. The rest of the day was quite literally, a miracle.

A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel. Proverbs 15:18

I know you’re angry. But is your anger “deserving” of hurting others? Who will be brave enough to be the patient one that can calm these quarrels? Everyone. Don’t believe me?

My dear brothers (and sisters), take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,  for [man's] anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. James 1:19-20

1 comment: